Green Apple Day of Service:
• 9:00-9:30 Introductory presentations: Joel Cesare, Sustainable Building Advisor for the City of Santa Monica spoke about the science of climate change and why energy efficiency is important. Lena Ashby gave an introduction to sustainability and thermodynamics.
• 9:30-10:30 Hands on labs: Shane Hansen taught about conduction, convection, and radiation. He used field equipment to illustrate how each mode of heat transfer works. Khalilha Haynes taught about daylighting verses electric lighting systems. The students used a light meter to measure lighting values around the class room. Lena taught about water conservation. The students learned about about water flow rates with a flow rate bag and calculated a water budget. Credit cards for students? Continue reading this article and find financing.
• 10:30-10:40 Bathroom and snack break.
• 11:00-11:45 Energy modeling simulation and Google Sketch Up tutorial: Sandy Mukherjee taught an introduction to energy modeling and ran through an IES simulation. Then Sandy lead a tutorial on Google Sketchup and the student created their own models.
• 11:45-12:00 Wrap up with Q&A and lessons learned.